This year for Lent, I have decided to give up meat. I’m going to have another post talking about some decisions that I’ve made regarding my diet, but that’s a story for another day. For the next 40, well about 37 now, I won’t be eating any meat and I will be experimenting with lots of veggies to create meat free recipes.
First up on my to-do list of meatless recipes was to create meatless meatballs. I have been buying the Veggie Patch meatballs for some time now, and I thought that I could totally make my own black bean meatballs. These babies are super simple and have a great flavor with a kick of spice, just the way I like em!
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Spray oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- After draining and rinsing the black beans, place them into a large bowl.
- With a fork or potato masher, mash the beans until they turn into a paste-like consistency.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mash everything together with your hands.
- Form into meatballs and place them onto a cookie sheet
- Spray with a bit of oil and bake for 20 minutes.
I served these in a pita with some baby spinach and hummus, but I plan on making them again and giving them a try with some spaghetti sauce. I also love them on top of a huge salad. Who am I kidding, I will eat them with anything because they are that good.
Have you ever tried meatless meatballs? What are your fav meatless recipes?